Sunday, June 12, 2011

Watermelon Cured My Edema (Swollen Feet) During Pregnancy

Talking with my pregnant cousin recently and she mentioned about her swollen feet. This reminded me of the couple times that I had swollen feet during late pregnancy and brought back some memories about how I treated it. I heard swollen feet or edema during pregnancy is from excessive fluids accumulating in your extremities, and counter intuitively it means you should drink more water. Apparently when your body lacks water it tends to reserve more of it as back up. So when one day in my third trimester when I notice my ankle had disappeared, I started all the things I heard about to treat it. I started drinking more water, and that made me peed more than what I already am. I slept on my left side, I kept my feet raised often, cut out salty food, but the truth is it didn't really do much. Then I read about how watermelon will help. Watermelon is high in water content, vitamin C, B, folic acid, and beta carotene. This makes watermelon a natural diuretic and will help to flush toxins and excessive water out of your body. I love to drink watermelon juice, so the first thing next day, I bought a watermelon and blended it into juice and started slurping on it. And miraculously by night time, I can already see my ankle bone again, yes, it worked that fast. So every time after that, if I see any sign of edema, I immediately start my watermelon juice and I would not see swelling at all. If you are suffering from swollen feet from pregnancy, listen to me and don't suffer a day longer, go get watermelon, it works and it works fast.

1 comment: