Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Tried Hemp Milk

So I am reading bunch of people drinking hemp milk on Baby Center’s Crunchy Mama forum, and wondering what the heck is hemp milk. Doing a simple search online, it seems like it is made from hemp seed, which is part of the marijuana plant, but yet it doesn’t have the psychoactive component of marijuana. I read that it is rich in nutrients and protein, making it a good vegetarian choice. And on top of that, it is rich in omega-3. However, the omega-3 in hemp is alpha-linolenic acid, not the more desirable forms (EPA and DHA) found in fish oil. But, hey, with all that controversy about how cow’s milk might be bad for you and how soy might disrupt your enzyme, hemp milk seems to be a safer choice. Enthusiastic about all this good research, I decided to buy and try it. I am recently also interested in a rotation diet, and this seems like a good additional choice to rotate between my consumption of dairy, soy milk, and coconut milk. People seem to describe it as having a nutty creamy rich taste. But bad news, it is definitely not to my taste. One sip and I feel like spitting it back out already, and then the after taste was horrible as well, I had to force myself to finish my remaining cup without throwing it up. I am really disappointed in not being able to make this part of my normal drink choice, as it really sounds like a healthy choice. I read many people love the rich taste, but I guess my taste bud is not meant for it. Tomorrow I am going to go to the store and try to buy some chocolate powder or syrup and try to mix it in to see if I can finish the remainder comfortably.
Update: Actually, a second try of the hemp milk without chocolate and the taste has become much more tolerable now, I guess this is something you could get use to. However, I probably won't buy more of it since I am still not crazy about the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment