Saturday, May 28, 2011

Why I Don't Believe in CIO

I pretty much covered the three DVD/books that helped me tremendously to get through the infant stage, and also because of these three books, I no longer believe in letting a baby cry it out (CIO). I think it is cruel to let a baby with no speaking ability and no reasoning ability to go through this. Just because they can’t tell us what is bothering them, we go ahead and assume for them that they are just trying to be spoiled and that their feelings of discomfort or fear are not valid or important. From my experience so far with my daughter, I have yet to identify a moment that she cried for the sake of being bad, there is always a need or want, even though I don’t always give in to a want, but I at least let her know that her upset feelings of not getting the things she want is very valid. I don’t tell her not to be upset or that it is no big deal, I don’t think I can make that assumption for anyone and/or control how anyone should or will feel. Plus, there is just so much developmental milestones that are going on in the first couple of years, physically and mentally, nerves in the brains are connecting in tremendous speed, then there are growth spurts, then there is the teething, and different baby/person have different temperament and sensitivity level, it is not fair for us to make assumptions for anyone base our own personal view.

No comments:

Post a Comment