Thursday, July 28, 2011

Is Silicone Safe?

Before my daughter was born I read up about silicone on Safbaby.com, here is the page: http://www.safbaby.com/is-silicone-safe
It kind of bothered me that there is no studies regarding it's safety, considering a lot of baby products claimed to be safe nowadays are made from silicone. But it still seemed like a safer option than plastic, so if there were a choice, I would choose silicone over plastic. But one thing about silicone products is that it tends to leave this weird chemical smell, I tried using a silicone cup to drink before, and the water just tasted awful, it really makes me think this stuff can't be good. And today I see this: http://www.safbaby.com/is-silicone-in-baby-products-and-bakeware-really-safe Now this seems pretty scary.
My daughter never took a bottle or a pacifier, so I never really had to worry much about the choice of silicone or rubber latex. But this have me thinking about then what is a good nipple to use then, silicone is made with tons of chemical, and rubber also has its chemical issue, and might cause allergy also. This pretty much leaves us with no choice besides start feeding our babies from a glass cup, well, I guess the best is still your breast, but that is definitely not practical for everyone. I guess silicone is still the safest out of all available choices so far, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment