Sunday, July 10, 2011

Natural Bug Repellent

Now that it is summer time, I see a lot of bugs outdoor; my husband has gotten a few bites from who know what, and asked me to look into bug repellants for our daughter and for the whole family. All the websites say that repellants containing DEET is the most effective, but reading how it shouldn’t be apply to babies less than 2 months old, and then you should avoid face, hand area, then how the concentration should not exceed 30%, it just seems like another chemical I would just rather not use. Looking into natural alternatives, the next effective ingredient approved by CDC is lemon eucalyptus oil, however, it is not recommended for children under age of 3. Now this is getting hard, the rest of the plant oils are not approved to be effective by CDC, so I need to base this decision on product reviews and looking into the ingredients myself. I don’t necessarily need something super strong, but I wouldn’t want to buy something that just totally doesn’t work either. After more research and suggestion from forums, I decided to go with All Terrain Kids Herbal Armor. Reviews seem to all say it works, but some people can’t stand the strong smell of citronella. I personally find the smell okay, it does smell kind of flowery perfume like, but it does also have that little tint of lemon smell. I haven’t really put it on and try it out yet, so I will have to come back some day to add to that, but so far it seems pretty good and natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment